The half double crochet moss stitch, also commonly called the hdc moss stitch or half double crochet linen stitch is a variation of the more common regular moss stitch. It is a very easy crochet stitch pattern to do, all you need to know to make this stitch is how to do the half double crochet stitch and make a chain.
Half Double Moss Stitch vs Regular Moss Stitch
The difference between the regular moss stitch and the half double crochet moss stitch is that the regular moss stitch uses a single crochet, whereas a hdc moss stitch uses the half double crochet stitch in place of the single crochet stitch.
What Is The Half Double Moss Stitch Used For?
The HDC Moss stitch can be used in all kinds of crochet projects, from blankets to scarves and shawls. This crochet stitch is just as versatile as the regular moss stitch.
Video Tutorial for the HDC Moss Stitch
- Create a foundation chain of any number and add 3 chains onto that foundation chain.
- Create a half double crochet stitch in the 3rd chain from your hook ( Yarn over, insert hook into 3rd chain from the hook, yarn over and pull up a loop, yarn over and pull through all three loops on your hook)
- Chain 1, and skip the next chain.
- Complete a half double crochet in the following chain after the skipped chain.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 across the rest of the foundation chain.
- To start a new row, chain 2 and turn your work.
- Complete a Half Double crochet stitch in the 1st chain space.
- Chain 1, and skip the next stitch.
- Complete a half double crochet stitch in the next chain space.
- Repeat steps 8 and 9 all across the row, completing the row with a hdc stitch in chain space between the previous row's 1st hdc and turning chain.
Other Crochet Stitch Tutorials
- Extra Long Gentle Wave Stitch
- Linked Half Double Crochet Stitch
- Single Crochet Back Loop Only Stitch (scblo)