Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure at the bottom of the page.
The single crochet stitch (sc) is one of the most common crochet stitches used in patterns. If you are new to crochet and just learning the stitches this step-by-step tutorial on how to make a single crochet stitch can help.
What You Will Need to Make a Single Crochet Stitch
- Crochet Hook
Our Free Crochet Patterns Using the Single Crochet Stitch:
- Pinwheel Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Lemon Peel Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Textured Single Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Combo Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Crochet Cat Mat Pattern
- Even Moss Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Quick Oatmeal Crochet Cowl Pattern
Step By Step Guide On How To Make A Single Crochet Stitch With Pictures
1.) Make a slip knot to get your yarn on the crochet hook:
2.) Make a chain to the length of what you need:
3.) Insert your crochet hook into the second chain from your hook and then yarn over on your hook:
4.) Pull your yarn back through the loop. You will have 2 loops on your hook now.
5.) Yarn over your hook:
6.) Pull your yarn back through the two loops on your hook. You will have 1 loop on your hook now. You now have 1 single crochet stitch complete.
Repeat the process down the rest of your chain for a full row of single crochet stitches:
Other Crochet Stitch Tutorials:
- Single Crochet Back Loop Only
- Half Double Crochet
- Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch
- Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only
- Extended Single Crochet Stitch