Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. You can read my full affiliate disclosure at the bottom of the page.
The half double crochet (hdc) is one of my favorite crochet stitches to incorporate into a crochet pattern. While it isn’t as common as the single crochet stitch or double crochet stitch, it is still found often in crochet patterns. If you are new to crochet and just learning the stitches this step-by-step tutorial on how to make a half double crochet stitch can help you.
After you have learned how to do a half double crochet check out our step-by-step directions on how to do a single crochet.
Our Free Crochet Patterns Using the Single Crochet Stitch:
- Combo Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Crochet Cat Mat Pattern
- Even Moss Stitch Dishcloth Pattern
- Cobblestone Stitch Crochet Dishcloth Pattern
- Even Moss Stitch Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern
- Quick Oatmeal Crochet Cowl Pattern
What You Will Need to Make a Half Double Crochet Stitch
- Crochet Hook
Step By Step Guide On How To Make A Half Double Crochet Stitch With Pictures
1.) Make a slip knot to get your yarn on the crochet hook:
2.) Make a chain to the desired length:
3.) Yarn over on your crochet hook:
4.) Insert your hook into the 3rd chain from the hook:
5.) Yarn over again:
6.) Pull the yarn through the chain stitch on your hook (you will have 3 loops on your hook)
7.) Yarn over your crochet hook:
8.) Pull the yarn through all three loops:
You have now completed your first half double crochet stitch.
Other Crochet Stitch Tutorials:
- Single Crochet
- Single Crochet Back Loop Only
- Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch
- Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only
- Extended Single Crochet Stitch