The double crochet stitch is one of the most popular stitches used in crochet patterns, especially patterns that are for those new to crochet. It is abbreviated in crochet patterns as ‘dc’.
This step by step tutorial will show you how to make a double crochet stitch.
The double crochet stitch is often used by itself, but it is also a common stitch that is used to create textured crochet stitches such as the lemon peel stitch.
How To Make A Double Crochet Stitch Video Tutorial
- Crochet Hook
- Make a slip knot to get your yarn on the crochet hook.
- Make a chain to your desired length and add 3 chains more to that number.
- Yarn over on your crochet hook.
- Insert your hook into the 4th chain from your hook.
- Yarn over your hook again.
- Pull the yarn through the chain stitch on your hook (you will have 3 loops on your hook)
- Yarn over your crochet hook:
- Pull the yarn through two of the loops on the crochet hook (you will now have 2 loops remaining on your hook):
- Yarn over your crochet hook again.
- Pull the yarn through the remaining two loops on your hook:
- Continue by repeating the steps for the double crochet stitch in each chain stitch until the end of the chain. (yarn over, insert hook into next stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through remaining 2 loops)
- To begin a second row, chain 3:
- Turn your work over:
- Yarn over and then insert your hook into the second stitch in the row:
- Yarn over your hook and pull up a loop (3 loops on your hook):
- Yarn over and pull through 2 loops on your hook (2 loops remaining on your hook)
- Yarn over and pull through the remaining 2 loops on hook:
- Repeat steps 14 through 17 starting in the next stitch and continue through the row to finish.
Other Crochet Stitch Tutorials:
- Single Crochet
- Single Crochet Back Loop Only
- Half Double Crochet Stitch
- Half Double Crochet Slip Stitch
- Half Double Crochet Back Loop Only
- Linked Half Double Crochet Stitch
- Extended Single Crochet Stitch
- Double Triple Crochet Stitch
- Slip Stitch Back Loop Only Stitch